Tabloid wins initial battle in privacy action by UK’s Duchess Meghan

0
77

LONDON: London’s High Court yesterday threw out part of a claim brought by Meghan, Britain’s Duchess of Sussex, against a tabloid newspaper for breaching her privacy, ruling that it had not acted dishonestly.

Meghan, wife of Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince Harry, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles its Mail on Sunday newspaper printed last year which included parts of a letter she had sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.

At a hearing last week, the paper’s lawyer argued that allegations it had acted dishonestly, had stoked the family rift and conducted an agenda against the Duchess of Sussex by publishing offensive, false stories, should not be included.

“I agree that all three categories of allegation should be struck out of the Particulars of Claim,” judge Mark Warby said in his ruling.

He said some of the issues were irrelevant, not properly detailed or disproportionate for the purposes of the case.

Since their star-studded wedding in May 2018, relations between some media and Meghan and Harry, who are now living in the Los Angeles area having stepped down from their royal roles at the end of March, have become increasingly hostile. —Agencies

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here